- The War On Contraception = A war on women (XX Factor)
- Obama Sacks Bush-Era Contraception Rules (Huff Po)
- New study shows access to over-the-counter birth control improves usage (Feministing)
- Jacksonville, FL mayoral candidate defends his joke about bombing abortion clinics because his audience was catholic and “100% pro-life”. Apparently “pro-lifers” find death funny…who knew?! (Jacksonville.com)
- Check out Salon’s powerful article on why men need to speak up about abortion (Salon)
- Read up on the side effects of the GOP’s war on family planning (Wa Po)
- Infamous, anti-choice, race-baiting billboards make their unwelcome debut in Manhattan. Their message? “The most dangerous place for an African-American is in the womb.” Jiminy Christmas. There really are no words… (NBC NY)
- Ga. Law Could Give Women the Death Penalty for having a miscarriage (Mother Jones)
- Despite the fact that a 2006 congressional investigation found that “20 of 23 federally funded “Crisis Pregnancy Centers” contacted by staff investigators requesting information about an unintended pregnancy were told false or misleading information about the potential risks of an abortion”, South Dakota has introduced a bill that would mandate women receive “pre-abortion counseling” at these very businesses. (TPM)
On the day after Valentine’s Day, the National Domestic Violence Hotline released a report about disturbing behavior that may be displayed by many abusive partners. According to the New York Times, the hotline collected stories of abusers sabotaging their partners’ contraception, whether by hiding their birth control pills, poking holes in condoms, or refusing to use condoms altogether:
About a quarter [of respondents] said yes to one or more of these three questions: “Has your partner or ex ever told you not to use any birth control?” “Has your partner or ex-partner ever tried to force or pressure you to become pregnant?” “Has your partner or ex ever made you have sex without a condom so that you would get pregnant?”
One in six answered yes to the question “Has your partner or ex-partner ever taken off the condom during sex so that you would get pregnant?”
The survey was not part of a scientific study. The respondents were not made up of a representative cross-section of the general population, but rather were a self-selected group, already in abusive relationships and willing to talk about their experiences. From the data released by the National Domestic Violence Hotline, it is impossible to tell how widespread such forms of abuse are in society as a whole. Despite this, the data collected do point to a disturbing way that intimate partner violence can manifest itself. It is important to recognize interference with one’s birth control — and therefore one’s bodily integrity — as abusive behavior. Continue reading
February is a time full of candy kisses, love, and romance. It’s a time for couples to express their love for each other with chocolate, flowers, diamonds, and yes … lots of sex. It’s no wonder then that February is also National Condom Month.
Barrier methods are great forms of birth control because they don’t have the same side effects as hormonal birth control. They function by keeping the sperm from ever coming in contact with the egg, preventing fertilization of the egg. Some also protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
Condoms are one of the most common and widely used of all the birth control methods and the only one that can protect against STDs. They are generally made from latex or animal membranes, such as sheep skin. The material is shaped like a penis, with an opening on one end in which the penis can be inserted. This should be done prior to any intercourse, oral or anal sex, to prevent pregnancy. The condom will then collect any semen from the penis, thus avoiding pregnancy. Latex condoms also provide a barrier between body fluids to prevent contact with STDs.
Aside from a lack of side effects, condoms are a great form of birth control for several reasons. They are cheap and easily accessible, come in a variety of options to enhance pleasure (flavored, shaped, texture, etc.), may delay premature ejaculation, and can be used with virtually any other birth control to enhance the effectiveness of pregnancy prevention. Condoms are available at almost any pharmacy, most grocery stores, and at Planned Parenthood and other health/family clinics. Planned Parenthood also services condom vending machines in the Tucson area, which has condoms available for $0.50 at various locations. The cost can vary, but generally runs about $1 per condom; at some clinics and educational programs, condoms may be available at little or no cost. Continue reading
- “You can’t be pro-choice and Catholic.”
- “Life begins at conception.”
- “You have excommunicated yourselves.”
The truth is, you can be pro-choice and Catholic – and indeed, most Catholics are. Catholics can, in good conscience, support access to abortion and affirm that abortion can be a moral choice.
Join us for an interactive workshop with staff from Catholics for Choice to learn the truth about Catholics, Catholic teaching, and abortion. Pro-Choice Catholicism 101: Listening to Your Conscience will outline how it is possible to be both pro-choice and Catholic – and how the vast majority of Catholics support comprehensive reproductive healthcare services. Continue reading
- Congresswoman Jackie Speier goes to bat for Planned Parenthood AND the women of America with her courageous abortion confession on the House floor (Huff Po)
- Abortion provider, Dr. Lynette Leighton describes how a childhood friend’s attempts to self-abort inspired her to provide women with safer options and choices. (RH Reality Check)
- South Dakota introduces legislation to allow the murder of abortion providers to be classified as “justifiable homicide”. So much for the term “pro-life”. (Feministing)
- Oh wait, nevermind. South Dakota was just jiving us about the murder of abortion doctors falling under the umbrella of “justifiable homicide”. (Jezebel)
- Do you think asking someone to die for your personal religious beliefs is fair and just? The Catholic church does! (Huff Po)
- Five Ways The GOP Is Trying To Eradicate A Woman’s Right To Choose (Think Progress)
- Awesome DC city council member introduces bill to allow pharmacists to dispense birth control without a prescription (Wa Po)
- Check out MoveOn.org’s powerful “Coat Hanger” abortion ad, complete with famous pro-choice TV star! (Huff Po)
This video was created by Kristen Manganini and Josh Sandman and is titled, “Protect yourself. Protect the planet.” The video highlights the importance of using birth control to curb unexpected pregnancies throughout the world. This will ultimately create a healthier planet for all by responsibly managing available resources and supporting a planet that can support us. Continue reading
You wouldn’t believe what we’re seeing in the Arizona Legislature. Anti-choice legislators have launched one of the most shocking attacks on women’s health we’ve ever seen. Last Wednesday easily could have been dubbed “Anti-Woman Day” at the Arizona Legislature. Several anti-choice bills were voted on in two committees that day, including two resolution bills, HCR2034 and SCR1017, which have the singular purpose of singing the praises of deceptive Crisis Pregnancy Centers, as well as three of the other anti-woman bills we alerted you to last week, SB1246 (the bill that redefines taking a pill as a surgical abortion), HB2443 (Abortion; Sex and Race Selection; Prohibition) and SB1265 (Tax Credit Ban on Planned Parenthood). Despite all of your emails last week, all of these bills passed out of their committees.
Take a moment and view the hearings on these bills; you will be shocked! Our legislators hear the truth about how these bills will hurt women AND VOTE FOR THEM ANYWAY! They need to hear from you! Continue reading
- Gardasil vaccine protects men against HPV too! (Time)
- An Unfortunate History Of Abortion Provider Evictions
- It never, ever ends: Ohio introducing a bill to outlaw abortion once a fetus develops a heartbeat (ABC News)
- As They Seek to Ban Abortion, GOP Also Moves to Eliminate Title X Family Planning Program (RH Reality Check)
- Pittsburgh settles lawsuit with anti-choice street harasser protester who attested the city’s buffer zones around clinics hindered her ability to yell at strangers and pass out propaganda (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)
- The Economics of Abortion (Politics Daily)
- Great OP-ED from New York Times columnist Gail Collins about the siege of Planned Parenthood (NYT)